Procedure for Reporting Grades by Instructors
Faculty legislation requires that grade rosters be approved by the instructor no later than 72 hours after the scheduled time of the final examination.
- Instructors report final grades on the Grade Roster in ConnectCarolina.
- Every registered student must have an appropriate grade designation (no blanks).
- Undergraduate students who elect to take a class under the PS/D+/D/ option. Instructors are not informed of which students have elected the Pass-Fail option. The system will automatically convert grades of D or better to PS.
- If a student was present at the final examination but failed to hand in their examination paper, a grade of F should be assigned.
- If a student did not show up for the final examination or has not been attending classes, a grade of AB or FA must be assigned.
- IN – Instructors should assign an IN where the student took the final examination but did not complete some other course requirement and the student could pass the course if the assignment was completed. The IN is computed as an F in an undergraduate student’s GPA.
- For undergraduate students, an IN is changed automatically to an F* if the grade is not cleared by eight weeks into the next regular semester.
- For graduate students, an IN will revert to an F* (administratively assigned grade) if the grade is not cleared within one year from the original examination.
- AB – Must be given to a student who did not take an exam regardless of the reason, but might have passed the course had they done so.The AB is computed as an F grade in an undergraduate student’s GPA.
- For undergraduate students, an AB grade is changed automatically to an F* if the grade is not cleared by the last day of class in the next regular semester.
- For graduate students, an AB will revert to an F* (administratively assigned grade) if the grade is not cleared within one year from the original examination.
- SP – The grade of SP may be used in the first course of a departmental Undergraduate Honors Program.
- The Primary Instructor for a course has the authority to process and post grade changes for temporary grades using the online Grade Change Request process.
- Temporary grades of IN (Incomplete) and AB (Absent) are not reflected on a student’s official transcript after conversion to a permanent grade is processed.
Have a question about Grades?
Contact the Registrar’s Records Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org