Applying for Graduation
All students must apply for graduation through their ConnectCarolina account.
Directions for Applying to Graduate
- Go to the ConnectCarolina portal (Internet Explorer recommended).
- Log-in to your ConnectCarolina Student Center with your UNC Onyen and Password.
- Select Apply for Graduation from the drop-down box on the Academics tab.
- Follow the directions to confirm all program and personal information.
Important: If you do not see the “Apply for Graduation” link, you are not currently eligible to apply. If you believe this is in error, contact your graduate program or undergraduate academic advisor.
For a list of graduation-related dates and deadlines, visit Important Graduation Dates.
Important: Late applicants are not guaranteed to be listed in the Commencement Program.
DIPLOMA Name and HOME Address
During the “Apply for Graduation” process you are asked to confirm your diploma name and home address information.
Your diploma will be printed with the primary name listed on your ConnectCarolina account, unless you take action to update your diploma name. Any updates made to your diploma name by the posted deadline will also be reflected in the Commencement Program.
The University recognizes that many members of its community use names other than their legal names to identify themselves. Since the University considers the diploma to be a ceremonial document, you are free to update your diploma name to an alternate name. Some examples of alternate names include but not limited to:
- First name, initial, or an alternate form of first name
- i.e. First name “alternate name” last name i.e. James “Jim” Frazer
- i.e. First name (alternate name) last name i.e. James (Jim) Frazer
- First name which conforms with the graduate’s genuine expression of gender identity
- Middle name or initial or omission of middle name altogether
- Inclusion of former or maiden name
- Inclusion of proper capitalization and accentuation of name, including special characters
- Inclusion of maternal surnames as culturally appropriate.
Important: The University allows students to change their diploma name to an alternate name that does not match a student’s legal name. However, some students may need to use their diploma in conjunction with their official transcript for legal, immigration, or employment purposes.
- Students who plan to live, study, or work outside of the U.S. are encouraged to use their legal name on their printed diploma. Complications could arise if the name on your diploma does not match other documents like your transcript, passport, or birth certificate.
- Students in one of our professional schools like law, medicine, nursing, pharmacy or dentistry, should take into account licensing requirements that often require the use of legal name on all educational documents including diplomas (i.e. State Bar applications and federal employment guidelines). Using a name other than a legal name could result in the rejection, delay, scrutiny, and/or requirements for additional proof of identification association with any applications for employment, licensure, credentialing, visa applications, and/or processes that require verification of your education records.
- Students who change their name to alternative diploma name and wish to have an additional diploma printed with their legal name will be responsible for ordering a replacement diploma and covering the related fees. The Replacement Diploma FAQs page has additional details.
To confirm the accuracy or update your diploma name, including spelling and capitalization (screenshots below):
- Login to your ConnectCarolina Student Center
- Click My Academics.
- Click View my graduation status.
- Click Diploma Name.
- Update your Diploma name and click Save.
- A save confirmation screen will appear. Click OK.
- Confirm your updated diploma name.
Click to view the update your diploma name process in ConnectCarolina.
Mailed diplomas are shipped after graduation to the home address listed on your ConnectCarolina account (see Diploma Distribution Dates). If this is not where you want your diploma sent, you can update your address in your Student Center.
Have questions about graduation?
Email the Records team at email@example.com.