If I think I qualify, how do I apply?

There are various ways to apply. The process of application is determined according to your student status.

Do I qualify for residency for instate tuition status?

Certain conditions are necessary for instate tuition status. These requirements can be viewed via the Registrar’s website.

How is my residency application processed?

Each admissions office completes the initial residency classification. Additional information on what happens before, during, and after the initial classification is offered by the Residency Office.

What do I need to know about residency and my tuition payment?

Tuition payment is necessary before being permitted to register for classes. If you are appealing your decision, the difference in the out-of-state rate and the instate rate will be refunded to you if the appeals committee overturns the initial decision.

If the initial decision for instate status is denied, what is my next step? Do I appeal?

As chair of the Residence Status Committee, I would recommend that you do appeal. The reversal rate of initial decisions at the appeals level is about 50%. More information outlining the appeals process is available.

If my appeal is denied at the campus Residence Status Committee level, is there another appeal route available?

If your appeal has already been denied, you may file an appeal with the State Residence Committee.

Once I am classified as an instate student, how long does the benefit last?

Until your circumstances change, such as your legal residence, you will remain classified as an instate student. Please consult our information on the duration and the benefit of the law.

After I am classified either as a nonresident or resident, what are my obligations and requirements if there is a change in the facts of my situation?

Any change in your circumstances, either favorable or unfavorable, must be reported to your admissions residency officer. Visit our overview of the residency process and read the third paragraph in the last section of “Processing your application”.

I am married. Are there any special provisions for married students?

Yes. Please note the application process for married student applicants is different.

Are there other special residency provisions of the North Carolina residence status statute?

Yes. Including the marital provision, there are several special provisions that may affect you. Please read the special provisions affecting some residency classifications for more details.

Is there a difference between a legal resident of NC and a legal resident for tuition purposes?

Yes. A legal resident is a person who comes to North Carolina and has physical presence for at least one day, with the intent on making NC his/her permanent home of indefinite duration. The person must then prove this intent by doing various overt “residentiary” acts such as acquiring a driver’s license, changing car registration, registering to vote, acquiring real property, employment and paying taxes to NC as a resident, etc.

A legal resident for tuition purposes is a student who has demonstrated that he or she has been a North Carolina legal resident for at least the twelve consecutive months immediately preceding the school term for which he or she is requesting classification of residency for tuition purposes.

I am a foreign student. May I qualify for instate tuition status?

Possibly, but this is a very complicated area. Please consult our information concerning the domicile of non-U.S. citizens.

I am in the military. Are there any special benefits?

Yes. The Office of the Registrar offers information on tuition benefits for veterans and also application forms for consideration over the Internet.

I am a spouse or child of a disabled NC emergency or police officer. Are there any special benefits?

Yes. Certain family members of emergency workers killed or permanently disabled in the line of duty may become eligible for tuition-free enrollment.

I am a widow/widower or child of a deceased NC emergency or police officer. Are there any special benefits?

Yes. Certain family members of emergency workers killed or permanently disabled in the line of duty may become eligible for tuition-free enrollment.

Is there a copy of the NC Residence for Tuition Purposes statute online?

A hardcopy of the text can also be found at Davis Library on the UNC campus.

Are the residency applications available online?

Yes. Residency applications are offered online in PDF format.