Skip to main content

FERPA also gives students the right to inspect their education records and to request amendment of those records if they are inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise in violation of the student’s privacy rights.

  • To inspect education records

    To inspect education records, a student must file a written request with the individual who has custody of the records that the student wishes to inspect (University Registrar, Academic Dean, Department Chair, Director of University Housing, etc.).

    Important: This request must be honored within 45 days after the records custodian receives it.

  • To request amendment of education records

    To request amendment of education records, a student must first discuss the matter informally with the records custodian.

  • If the custodian of the records agrees with the request for amendment, the records will be amended.
  • If not, the custodian will notify the student within a reasonable period of time that the records will not be amended and will inform the student of applicable appeal rights.
  • To file a complaint

    To file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education alleging that the University has not complied with FERPA.

    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20202-5920
    Phone: 1-800-USA-LEARN (1-800-872-5327)