Skip to main content

The Veteran Affairs website has been designed to provide the most efficient and effective means to find the information needed to initiate GI Bill Veterans educational benefits.

If you still have questions after reviewing the information, please contact the team at .

How to Receive Education Benefit Payments

To receive VA educational benefits, you must be formally admitted as a degree seeking undergraduate or graduate student and adhere to the university’s tuition policies and academic eligibility standards.

All forms required to request initiation and payment of benefits may be submitted electronically from your UNC email address.

Use the following link to learn more.

VA Application Process

Where do I Start?

To receive benefits, you must apply through the Department of Veterans Affairs.

For instructions and application forms, please visit the VA website or you may contact them by phone at 1-888-GIBILL1.

What happens next?

The VA will process your application and send you a letter notifying you of their decision.

Please be aware that it may take the VA several weeks to process your claim. If you are approved to receive benefits, you will receive a certificate of eligibility letter from the VA.

VA Enrollment Data Form for New and Continuing Students

Enrollment Certification Renewal is not automatic.

You must submit the UNC-CH Veterans Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form as soon as you register for the following term to re-activate your benefits and prevent a lapse in payment. Without a new enrollment form, your payments will stop. You must notify this office if you change your major, withdraw or add and/or drop classes.

The VA will be notified of failure to maintain standards of attendance, progress, or conduct: When a student has failed to maintain the prescribed standard of attendance, progress, or conduct. The school must promptly notify VA so that VA can discontinue benefit payments in accordance with the law.

If a student’s progress or conduct becomes unsatisfactory, the termination date assigned by the school will be the last day of the term or other evaluation period in which the student’s progress or conduct became unsatisfactory.

Note: In situations involving unsatisfactory attendance, benefits will be discontinued based on the student’s last date of attendance as reported by the school.

Chapter 30, 1606, and 1607 veterans will not receive payment until they have also verified their monthly attendance directly with the VA. Enrollment can be verified starting on the last calendar day of the month by using the Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1-877-823-2378.

Apply for Admission to UNC

Go to the admissions application utility

Active-Duty Military Residency

 Click to view additional information on Active-Duty Military Benefits at UNC-Chapel Hill.

Veteran Choice Act Residency


Check out a collection of helpful answers to frequently asked Veteran’s Affairs questions.


Listed below are other World Wide Web resources for those wanting information about their VA benefits.

If you are interested in meeting others who are also receiving US military benefits, contact the Carolina Veterans’ Organization.

Do you have additional questions about GI Bill education benefits under the Veteran Affairs?

Contact the team at GI Bill .