Skip to main content

How do I apply for admission to UNC Chapel Hill?

You must apply through the appropriate UNC Admissions Office.

Prospective undergraduate students may find information and application.

Prospective graduate students,can go to the graduate school for more information.

How do I find out what VA benefits I might qualify for or if I have any VA benefits remaining?

Contact the Department of Veteran Affairs at 1-888-442-4551 or visit their website.

How long does it take to begin receiving benefits after they have been initiated and enrollment certification (22-1999) has been electronically sent to the VA?

New applicants should expect to receive their first check 8–12 weeks from the time the enrollment certification is sent.

You will be paid retroactively from the first day of class. It is imperative that you notify the VA Certifying Official of any changes to your enrollment information (i.e. changes to schedule, including adding, dropping or withdrawals)

What do I need to do each semester to continue receiving VA benefits?

Complete and submit the UNC-CH Veteran Educational Benefits Enrollment Data Form once you’ve officially registered for classes.

Will I qualify for instate tuition?

Visit our residency information link here..

Applications for residency are sent to the appropriate Admissions Office.

Can I get a tutor?

Eligible veterans who have a course deficiency may be eligible to receive reimbursement for payment to a tutor for individual tutoring. Visit the VA website for more information and to obtain the Application and Enrollment Certification for Individualized Tutorial Assistance (VA Form 22-1990t).

Free Tutorial Assistance is offered for many courses through the Learning Center located on campus. Please visit their website and if you still have specific questions or need guidance finding the appropriate tutor, please contact their office by calling (919) 962-3782 or send an email to

Do VA benefits affect Financial Aid?

Yes, VA benefits must be reported and may be calculated in award packages. For further information, contact the UNC-CH Office of Scholarships and Student Aid at 919-962-8396.

Transfer Students

If you are a transfer student and have used VA benefits at your previous university and would like to continue receiving the same benefits at UNC CH, you don’t need to reapply, you may submit a change of place of training form 22-1995 or 22-5495 (if you are a Ch. 35 dependent).

Dependents of Veterans

If you are a dependent of a veteran and will be receiving benefits under the Chapter 33 Post 9-11 transfer option, submit your VA certificate of eligibility or a copy of your 1990E application.

For step by step instructions regarding the transfer process.