Skip to main content

Withdrawal Policy

An official withdrawal occurs when you, as an enrolled student, decide you must leave the University in a given term Once the term begins and you have attended at least one class. If you must leave, you are required to notify the University through the withdrawal process and then cease attendance in all classes and/or academic activities.

If you withdraw from a fall or spring term and wish to return to UNC-Chapel Hill in a future term, you must submit the Return to Carolina survey.  If you withdraw from a summer term, readmission is not required. Contact your Academic Advisor or Academic Dean’s Office for more information.

To officially withdraw you must complete the appropriate steps as indicated below.

  1. Carefully Review the Withdrawal Policy

    To make an informed decision, carefully read the withdrawal policy before you decide to withdraw.

  2. Review the Potential Impact(s) of a Withdrawal from UNC-Chapel Hill

    A Withdrawal has several important potential impacts that may apply to you:

    Consult with your Academic Advisor or Academic Dean’s Office if you have questions or would like to better understand your options.

  1. Complete the Withdrawal form with all supporting documentation

To initiate an official withdrawal from the University, please click here for the appropriate steps and procedures.

Cancellation Policy

A cancellation results in removal of all enrollments for the term. Cancellations are not noted on the permanent record. No tuition or fees are charged, but other charges (for example Mandatory Student Health Insurance, Housing, Meal Plan, etc.) related to attending the University are the responsibility of the student.  Students may contact these offices directly for any questions about charges.

Prior to the first day of classes, if you, the student, decide you cannot or will not attend the University that term, you may request to cancel your registration. Click here for more information on cancellations

The University will only cancel registration for students who have not attended any classes in a term. If you have never attended a single class this term, and classes have begun, you must request a cancellation of your registration through your Academic Advisor or Academic Dean’s Office and provide verification of non-attendance from each professor.

Contact your Academic Advisor or Academic Dean’s Office for more information.