An official withdrawal occurs when you, as an enrolled student, decide you must leave the University in a given term once the term begins and you have attended at least one class. If you must leave, you are required to notify the University through the withdrawal process and then cease attendance in all classes and/or academic activities.

All students will be responsible for the tuition and fee charges associated with the class(es) and other charges related to attending the University.

IMPORTANT: To understand your options and the impacts of withdrawal, carefully read the University Policy Memorandum #7 on Cancellation Withdrawal and Suspension as well as the supporting information contained on the links listed on this page .

Review the detailed instructions on how to initiate your Official Withdrawal Request and attach all supporting documentation.

Note: When you submit your Official Withdrawal request online, it will be routed to the appropriate office(s) for review.

  • The official withdrawal date is defined as the day you submit your official withdrawal request.
  • For a full list of the impacts of submitting a withdrawal click here.
  • You may be required to obtain and attach grade input from each class in which you are currently enrolled.  For instructions on obtaining and submitting grades using the grade input form, click here.

If you have additional questions or would like to better understand your options consult with your Academic Advisor or Dean’s Office.

If a student requests for Campus Health Services or Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) to initiate the withdrawal process on their behalf, they should contact those offices directly, and not submit an Official Withdrawal Request in ConnectCarolina.

For clarification of policies, students should contact their Academic Advisor or Dean’s Office.

If you are in a program listed below, you must contact your Academic Advisor or Dean’s Office to initiate a Manual Withdrawal Request.

All Study Abroad students in any program

Inter-Institutional students in any program

Foreign Exchange and Non-UNC Study Abroad

  • Arts & Science Non Degree Undergraduate Exchange (ASFXU)
  • Arts & Science Non Degree Graduate Exchange (ASFXG)
  • Arts & Science Non Degree Undergraduate Global Visitor (ASGVU)
  • Arts & Science Non Degree Graduate Global Visitor (ASGVG)

Students from any program who are withdrawing due to being called to military active duty should see their Dean’s office to initiate a withdrawal request.