Skip to main content

Effective Date: February 1, 2005


The purpose of this memorandum is to outline the policy and procedures used to change the “name” data on computerized records of enrolled or previously enrolled students.

General Provisions

Information on applicants and newly admitted students is under the control of the Undergraduate, Graduate, or Professional School Admissions Offices. These offices will continue to amend and/or change “names” on computerized records according to their own internal office policies and procedures.

Data from the admissions offices comes under the jurisdiction of the University Registrar on the first day of classes in the term for which the applicant was admitted. Therefore, any new students wishing to amend and/or change their “name” should be directed to the Office of the University Registrar beginning with the first day of classes.

North Carolina law permits any person to change their name as long as it is not for fraudulent purposes. Therefore, proof of legal documentation, i.e. marriage certificate, divorce decree, etc., is not necessary. However, the policy of the Office of the University Registrar requires the identity of the student, or former student, be authenticated. One of the following procedures must be followed when “name” changes are requested:

  • “Name” changes may be requested in person at the Office of the University Registrar, Suite 3100, SASB North.Important:  Requests submitted in person require presentation of photo identification and submission of a signed University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Name Change Form.
  • If a “name” change is requested by a student or former student through the mail, the student must provide a letter requesting the name change (listing the name as it currently appears on our records, as well as, the new name they wish to replace it with).This letter must contain the student’s signature and an original notarized seal. Faxes are accepted only if the notary’s seal is stamped not embossed on the document, so that the seal is entirely visible to the receiver of the fax.
  • Departmental Registrars, or other departmental representatives, may continue to complete University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Name Change Forms if they choose to do so. However, the departmental representative must follow the same policies regarding authentication. They must require photo identification from students making an in-person “name” change request, or must obtain an original notarized seal if the request is received by mail.The departmental representative will then attest to the verification of the student’s identity by signing, noting their department, and dating the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Name Change Form before submitting it to the Office of the University Registrar.The University Registrar and the School Dean copies of the Name Change Form should be submitted to the Registrar’s Office.When the “name” change has been processed, the copy will be returned to the appropriate dean’s office.

An exception to the above policy is in the case where the student’s name is misspelled because of a typographical error such as an upper case/lower case error.

Name Change Form

Name Change Form (PDF)