Skip to main content

The Office of the University Registrar has partnered with Parchment for official transcript ordering. This enhanced transcript ordering process includes services to benefit our students, alumni, and former students of the university, including electronic (PDF) transcripts.  The Office of the University Registrar will provide an official transcript of a student’s academic record issued directly to the student or to a third party provided the student has given proper authorization with their transcript request.

Additional transcript ordering information, including a listing of fees, options to pick up your transcript, additional delivery options, and instructions for attachments, can be found in our Transcript FAQs link below.

New! Effective October 8, 2015, the Office of the University Registrar will begin processing School of Medicine transcripts for MD students who started Fall 2014 and later.  School of Medicine MD students who started their program prior to Fall 2014 will continue to receive their official transcript through the School of Medicine directly. See our Transcript FAQs for additional information.

Order a Transcript

Go to the Order a Transcript page to learn more on ordering official and unofficial transcripts

Transcript FAQs

Check out our extensive list of answers to transcript questions

Grading System Explanation

The grading system explanation for Undergraduate and Professional Students enrolled prior to Fall 1978, and Law Students enrolled prior to Fall 1993, can be found here. The subsequent grading system explanation is on the reverse side of the current academic transcript and can be found here.

Note: Only the undergraduate and professional programs accrue quality points and so report a grade point average. The grading system for Graduate students does not accrue any quality points so there are no grade point averages reported for Graduate programs.

Current Transcript Key

Past Transcript Keys

Degree Verification for UNC Graduates

UNC Graduates who require verification of an awarded degree prior to the arrival of their diploma may request a Proof of Awarded Degree certification letter. Visit the Proof of Awarded Degree form to fill out a request.

This computer-generated letter, which states all awarded degree information, is free of charge and can be mailed or faxed anywhere within 3-4 business days of receipt.

Degree Verification for Third Parties

Third parties seeking degree verifications should contact the National Student Clearinghouse, our authorized agent for providing this service. Contacting the Office of the University Registrar will only result in a referral to the National Student Clearinghouse.

If there are any questions regarding degree verification information, use the Contact Us link on the Clearinghouse website.

Enrollment Certifications

Go to the enrollment certifications page to learn more on ordering.

If you have any questions about ordering a transcript, contact us via email at

To help us better serve you, in all correspondence by email include:

  • First and Last Name
  • UNC-CH PID (Student ID)
  • Transcript Order # (if you are contacting us with questions about a current transcript order or order that has already been processed)

Note: If you do not know your UNC-CH PID, you can look it up.

If you have additional questions after reviewing our FAQs, please contact us at