Please review the registration policies for the UNC-Chapel Hill.
- Changes in course registration schedules should be made during the first five days of classes. During this time, students may add courses using the registration system.
- After the first five days of classes, the addition of a course to a student’s registration schedule requires permission of the course instructor or the department concerned.
Additionally, students must obtain a Registration/Drop/Add form from their academic adviser, the concerned department, or their school.
Important: Students are required to have their school dean’s signature when registering for the first time or making any course additions after the last day to add a course and the end of late registration.
- See the University Registrar’s Calendar for specific dates.
- Deans will only approve those registrations or course additions which have first been approved by the instructor, and only for truly exceptional circumstances.
- The form must be submitted to the University Registrar’s Office on the day of issuance.
Undergraduate students may drop courses using the registration system during their online access period.
- Dropping a class may affect your academic progress
- Dropping a class may result in the assignment of a W grade on your transcript. (See http://registrar.unc.edu/guide/registration-policies/ for impacts).
Graduate students may drop courses using the registration system during the first eight weeks.
- See the University Registrar’s Calendar for drop dates.
- Course drops requested After the Last Day for Graduate Students to drop courses requires approval of the Graduate School.
Important: It is your responsibility to insure that drop/add transactions are appropriately recorded.
Important: The last date for credit on a student’s financial account for withdrawal is nine weeks after the first day of classes for the fall and spring semesters.
- For additional information on the cancellation and withdrawal policy, please refer to UPM #7. http://registrar.unc.edu/upm-7-cancellation-withdrawal-and-suspension/
- There are provisions for waivers on medical or religious grounds.
- If a certificate of immunization is not in the possession of the college or university on the first day of matriculation, the person shall have 30 calendar days from the first day of attendance to obtain the required immunizations.
Important: Persons not in compliance with the immunization requirements at the end of 30 calendar days will be administratively withdrawn from school by the University Registrar.
- The maximum course load for undergraduates for a semester is 17 credit hours and for graduate students is 16 hours.
- The maximum load will increase to 18 credit hours for undergraduates at the beginning of open enrollment for each term.
- Continuing Studies students are limited to 8 credit hours. If you wish to enroll for more than the credit hour limit you must obtain permission from your dean to carry a credit hour “overload”.
Important: The registration system will not permit you to register for more than the credit load limit without obtaining your dean’s approval. Only the Dean’s Office can increase credit hours.
Important: You should discuss semester enrollment of fewer than 15 academic credit hours with your adviser because such enrollments necessitate:
- Summer School
- A heavier course load during a later semester
University regulations require students who do not register before the first day of classes in any semester or summer session to pay an additional fee of $20.00 for delayed registration.
Any student who believes that they can show sufficient justification for the delay may petition for a refund by completing this form and outlining the reason for delay. The justification will be reviewed and acted on by the Office of the University Registrar. Students will receive an email notice of the decision.
For more information please visit: https://registrar.unc.edu/guide/registration-policies/late-fee-refund-petition2/
To establish that your child is your dependent for these purposes you will need to:
- Download and complete Parent(s) Certification of Student’s Dependent Status for Federal Income Tax Purposes
- Include a copy of your most recent federal income tax return
Send all items to the Office of the University Registrar:
Office of the University Registrar UNC-Chapel Hill Suite 3100,
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-2100
We are here to help!
If you need help with any registration related questions, contact us!